Student Loans in Canada & Their Features
Most of the countries in the world today provide facilities for pursuing higher education and extend various types of loans and grants. Canada is no exception. Especially the students loan program and grants program both help the students with financial assistance for pursuing their education and building up their career.
Types of Student Loans in Canada
Features of the loans and grants for students in Canada are as follows.
– Student loans in Canada and various grants are available in most of the states and cities in Canada;
-In case of grants the students do not have to pay back the amount sanctioned in their favor;
– Loans are amounts that are sanctioned but have to be repaid in future; and
-Student loans in Canada are available from the federal and state governments, private organizations, religious institutions, and even from the college where the student is pursuing graduation.
Why Student Loans in Canada is Important
Reasons for importance of the student loans in Canada is that few students become eligible for grants that are non-refundable. Hence, many others who are not eligible for the grants opt for the student loans in Canada. Pursuing higher secondary education opens up numerous avenues for building up career in the country.
Main Resources for Canada Student Loans
Some of the major resources for Student loans in Canada and grants sanctioned in favor of the students are as follows.
– Canada Student Grants Program;
– Canada Students Loans Program;
-Repayment Assistance website; and
– All the related links.
Moreover, the aspirant borrower can visit the official website of higher education department of Government of Canada for more information on student loans.
More about Student Loans in Canada
Student loans in Canada is offered to both full time as well as the part time students pursuing post-secondary courses and require financial assistance for the same. Such facilities are available in most part of the country.
– CSLP or the Canada Student Loans Program that works in collaboration between Government of Canada as well as the state governments;
– Usually it is a partnership between state and federal government;
– Central government in Canada offers 60% of the students loan offered and the upper limit for such loans is $210 per week of study for the student; and
– Provincial and territorial loans constitute 40% of such loan extended to students.
A Brief Overview of Student Loans in Canada
Since it started in the year 1964, the CSLP has covered around 4.5 million students offering around $34 billion of loans. Such expenses were incurred in form of part time and full time student loans for approximately 350,000 students. Besides such loans, the Canadian Government has also provided huge amount of grants of around $142 million that is non-refundable to students.
However, coverage of student financial assistance is much greater in form of student loans in Canada.